Monday, May 9, 2011

Day 1

I arrived into Tecpán, Guatemala after flying through LA and into Guatemala City. It was an exhausting flight as I was in the midst of a slight fever and extremely exhausted from an overnight flight. But I arrived at 8am and Project Somos had arranged a driver to pick me up from the airport! After 90 minutes, I finally arrived into a small village called Tecpán where I will be residing for the next 4 months.

My first impression of Tecpán was that it reminded a bit like Monteverde in Costa Rica but bigger! Everyone is very friendly and the buildings are very colourful.

The lifestyle is very basic and makes you realize how lucky we have it in North America. First thing to remember - do not drink the tap water. Seemed easy enough, until I forgot and rinsed my toothbrush under the tap, then brushed my teeth with it! I remembered while brushing and then quickly rinsed my mouth with my filtered water bottle. So far, no stomach ache! Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment