Monday, July 11, 2011

Day 61-65

There's something so sweet about these Guatemalan kids. Last Friday, I found out that my favorite kid, Wilson, asked his mom if I can take him back to Canada because he likes me so much. How sweet is that? Last week, Wilson came over and I taught him how to play Angry Birds on my laptop...hehe...he was hooked for hours!

I have also started helping out at the local cafe with my friend, Mynor, the 13 year old barista. I'm hoping this experience will help me build on my limited Spanish as well as help Mynor learn English! And plus, it's fun to make drinks again. It is also nice (and challenging) to be forced to communicate in Spanish...without my fellow English speaking friends. I can't say that I'm doing a very good job....but I am slowly starting to learn!

Today we went to a Mayan ceremony. It was so interesting! With a firepit and an altar, they decorated it with sweets, fruit, chocolate, bread, herbs, pine needles, candles and probably many other things that I didn't recognize. The purpose of this ceremony was to cleanse ourselves so we can start fresh for the next 6 months before the new year. The ceremony was done in Spanish and the local Mayan language, Ka'chikel. It was neat...I am glad I was able to attend this ceremony!

Pictures of the ceremony will be coming later...

No comments:

Post a Comment